What is Reiki?
Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is not a religion. Nor is it associated with any particular religion. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.
Reiki works along the belief that there are 7 energy centers, also known as Chakras, within our bodies. Each Chakra corresponds to a particular area of the body, mind and spirit. Balancing of the Chakras is the focus of Reiki.
Reiki has a positive effect on all forms of illness and negative conditions. Once the chakras are balanced it then helps to promote wellness.
A typical session begins with myself and the client discussing what the client wishes to focus upon and her/his expectations for the session. I usually play some soothing music to begin the session. The client relaxes, fully clothed on a massage table with eyes closed. I then place my hands under the head of the receiver. The session follows with hand placement along the areas of the 7 chakras and ending back up at the head. All sessions are guided by the intuitive process and leaves the client feeling refreshed, relaxed and balanced.
We complete the session with a brief discussion of what the client may have felt or experienced during the session.
The 7 Chakras are the energy centers in our body in which energy flows through. Blocked energy in our 7 Chakras can often lead to illness so it's important to understand what each Chakra represents and what we can do to keep this energy flowing freely. Here's a quick summary starting from the bottom (feet):
1. Root Chakra - Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded. Associated with the color red.
- Location: Base of spine in tailbone area.
- Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money, and food.
2. Sacral Chakra - Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences. Associated with the color orange.
- Location: Lower abdomen, about 2 inches below the navel and 2 inches in.
- Emotional issues: Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexuality.
3. Solar Plexus - Our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives. Color yellow.
- Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area.
- Emotional issues: Self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
4. Heart Chakra - Our ability to love. Color green.
- Location: Center of chest just above heart.
- Emotional issues: Love, joy, inner peace.
5. Throat Chakra - Our ability to communicate. Color blue.
- Location: Throat.
- Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings, the truth.
6. Third Eye Chakra - Our ability to focus on and see the big picture. Color purple.
- Location: Forehead between the eyes. (Also called the Brow Chakra).
- Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions.
7. Crown Chakra - The highest Chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually. Color white.
- Location: The very top of the head.
- Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality and the divine, pure bliss.